I know this picture make you think of something that is your arch enemy, aka carb fest aka good bye cute little dress… However this is just a sheep in wolf’s clothing. People let me introduce you to my world famous turkey spaghetti.
Now let me first say I apologize for my absence lately. No excuses with stuff from my personal life but let’s just say grad school + super strict diet to drop a few lbs has left me with far less to post about. That said I promise to try and post at least a little more often from here on out… Now where was I? Oh right, Meatballs and carbs lots of glorious carbs.
I have posted (below) my very top secret recipe so I will save recipe talk for later. For now let’s talk substitutions. I personally go with lean ground turkey sausage and whole wheat pasta because it save me a small portion of the guilt that I usually reserve for steaming piles of noodles covered in meaty sauce. That said please feel free to go with full fatty pork sausage and creamy ribbons of tagliatelle. The reality is that either way you go you are sure to be impressed and to impress. So the next time you are planning on spending and afternoon at home (reality check: good sauce takes a long time) give this a try…and if you really want to impress a guy serve him this. The fellas they love them some spaghetti.
Meatball Spaghetti Sauce
1 pound/pkg of Italian Sausage (cut casings and remove meat)
½ C. plain or Italian bread crumbs
¼ C. grated parmesan cheese (the jarred stuff is fine)
1 egg beaten
1 T. Olive oil
2 T. Butter
– Use hands to combine meat with all other ingredients in a large bowl.
– Roll meatballs in desired size
– Melt butter with olive oil in large pot over med-high heat
– Sauté meatballs in butter/oil until browned remove from pot to a covered dish to stay warm while you prepare the sauce.
1 Lrg. Onion diced medium
1Bellpepper (any color) diced medium
2 Cubanelle peppers diced medium
2 cloves garlic minced
1 C. red wine
2 Beef bouillon cubes
1 C. water (my trick put the cup of water in jar from sauce and shake then add to pot)
1 Jar spaghetti sauce
1 Can crushed tomatoes (diced works too)
1 T. tomato paste
1 t. Sugar
1 T. favorite Italian blend seasoning (optional to taste)
– In same pot over same heat from meatballs add onions and sauté till almost translucent.
– Add peppers and sauté for aprox 3-5 minutes.
– Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
– Add red wine and allow to come to a boil, make sure to rub the bottom of the pan as it comes up to temp.
– Add all other ingredients except seasoning blend.
– Reduce temperature to a simmer and let sit with lid cracked on pan for as long as you can.
– Taste after about an hour to decide on needs for seasoning blend.